Sunday, November 13, 2011

FILM REVIEW: We need to talk about Kevin

9 out of 10
Where's the love?
What happens when the maternal bond between mother and child doesn't exist, and fails to develop. We need to talk about Kevin looks at the worst-case scenario in a rather frightening and uncomfortable tale that puts the flip on parenthood.

It's pretty relentless. A film composed mostly of struggle, hate and suffering. It doesn't help that Tilda Swinton is so convincing, you can't help but take it all in to the soul. It becomes quite emotionally taxing. At the same time there is an opposite effect. I found myself at times, laughing at the screen with some of the scenes, most notably those featuring 'little' Kevin. I'm still not sure why. A defense mechanism? Tendency for poor taste? Maybe I saw too much of an R-rated Dennis the Menace in it all. For whatever reason, I felt the need to lampoon it in my mind just every now and again.  

Still this is a great film, structured in a very effective manner. It's quite depressing and sad, but there is mild release throughout, so don't let that put you off completely. This is well worth seeing.