Wednesday, December 21, 2011

FILM REVIEW: War Horse

6 out of 10
The real deal?... 
I think I'm turning into a real cynic. Although I sat through, and more or less enjoyed Spielberg's latest release in War Horse, I felt increasingly more contrite about it afterwards. For me, the timing/contextual release of a film is just as important as its artistic strengths. I couldn't then help but think in my afterthoughts, why Spielberg had gone and made a gooey-eyed, nostalgic horse fairytale film in a time where so many people are losing their jobs, strapped for cash, disenchanted, protesting, and rioting. Is he completely out of touch???  15 years ago (god I miss the 90's), no problem, but now?... It just made me mad.

The film itself follows a storyline between a boy and his horse against the backdrop of war that works to tear them apart. Spielberg presents it through familiar young, naïve and innocent eyes, effective in previous triumphs, but here I found it made everything a little too insufficient. There were also a few romantic ideas and scenes (enemy soldiers breaking in battle to get along etc) that also annoyed me. I hate to think how current day veterans must find this.

Despite all this, Spielberg isn't a legend without reason, and his cinematic storytelling remains effective. I know this because all the old people in the audience applauded the film as it ended. Maybe it's because the film reminded them of the good old days, long since gone.