Thursday, January 27, 2011

TRAVEL: The North via Huddersfield Town

Most Kiwis use the UK as their port of departure to other parts of Europe.  Not a surprise considering the spots on offer, but in doing so a lot miss (by choice) the opportunity to see other parts of England.  Not I.  I am here to know England, and to know England one must explore England, and as many of its Ales at as many of its pubs, from regions all across and abroad.  In determination of this quest, I set out from St Pancras London (easy place to get lost), and went up North to England's largest town of Huddersfield where I met up and lodged with my good friends, Gavin and Carly.

Carly and Gav... favourite colour = blue
Gavin and I used to work together in Auckland a few years back.  In lunch breaks he would often hark back to the good old times in Huddersfield, where daisies bloomed and girls frolicked freely, without inhibition.  More a man of wild Orchids myself, but was nevertheless excited to admire whatever varietal was on offer.  First up,.. rain.  Quite a bit of it.  Gavin was devastated.  Not because I think it disrupted his plans for touring (as I initially thought), but because of the potential impression it would form with me in my visit.  Apparently when anyone mentions the North in England, they invariably think about the rain and the constant nature of it.  He told me about the weeks and weeks of sunshine that had preceded.  "I don't know mate, the canals look pretty full."  They like a good wind-up.

How Huddersfield looks in the sun
I immediately liked the geography of the town.  A place with hills (like home).  The hilliest place in England according to Gav (Huddersfield is number one for a few things I was soon to learn).  Big fan of hills, because from hills you get vantage and from vantage you get a sense of a place and an appreciation.  No better place for this than Castle Hill.  Couldn't really tell you much as far as vantage appreciation because it was damningly cold and we quickly made like cowards, back to the car... it truly was cold.

The cold Castle Hill
The town itself is modest in its boastings.  There are nice pubs, a Sainsbury, Cinema complex, all you really need in life.  They do have a standout feature to be admired.  Luckily for us we were able to see it as Gavin's father is of good standing in the community and was able to get us personal access.  This is of course, the home football ground.  The team wasn't there, but it was still cool to get inside and appreciate its awe when considered it was a stadium for a League One team (2 divisions down from Premier League).  Huddersfield are in fact now scheduled to play Arsenal in the FA Cup, a fixture for which I have tickets!  It actually functions as the League ground as well for which Huddersfield is the number one birthplace for the sport, but football is half why I'm here so we'll stick with that.

Pitch-side at Huddersfield Town Stadium
The other good thing about the town is its location in close vicinity to other great Northern towns which Gav and Carly treated me in several excursions.  The first of which was to the city of York.  Very much a time capsule, York sits behind a large river (flooded at the time due to all the rain) and assembles itself with taverns, cottages, a cathedral and castle.  It is also famous for its city walls, which run through and in and around the town.  Provides for good walk and super-archer role play time.

Creeping Taverns in York
Gav and I also spent a day in Manchester to visit Stadium Old Trafford.  It was actually beautifully sunny, so Gav made the call to walk from Picadilly Manchester to the ground.  About 20 mins he reckoned.  70 minutes and four miles later we arrived.  Managed to harness a little more energy for a outside circuit of the stadium with a few snaps before departing, by tram.  Manchester itself reminded me of Melbourne.  Not sure if it was the open space, the Victorian architecture or because of a similar walking experience I had there (that time Kelly's fault).

Four Legends standing before Old Trafford
Leeds I went by myself on a working day.  Much smaller than Manchester, it was a little more relaxed with markets and street performers dotted around by early afternoon.  Had lunch at the Corn Exchange with a nice  gourmet hotdog and surprisingly good coffee (best so far experienced in England), then spent the rest of the day walking around the city.  I was a bit crook but I felt it was time well spent.

Inside the Corn Exchange
Really enjoyed my stay up North.  Thanks goes undoubtedly to the company I was fortunate enough to keep and hospitality shown from Gav and Carly + family and friends.  Lots more to see up there, and hope to be back in good time to scour it all.    

No comments: